Garden Chemicals and Pets: How to Keep Your Dog Safe
Did you know that some of the most common things in your garden can be toxic to your dog?
If you like your garden well manicured, the chances are that you use chemicals to keep the pests away from your beautiful and expensive plants. But, these chemicals can be harmful to your dog’s health!
So, it is vital to know what is safe for your furry friend, and what’s not.
That’s what we’re going to help you with.
In this blog post, we will talk about garden chemicals and pets and also go through how to keep your four-legged friend safe.
Your Golden Retriever loves spring as much as you do because the winter is finally gone, which means that you and your furry friend can enjoy time together outdoors!
But, there might be danger lurking in the garden for your dog.
If you like to keep a well-manicured garden, the chances are that you use chemicals, insecticides, and pesticides to keep your plants looking clean and fresh. But, these can be dangerous for your dog.
Did you know that phenoxy herbicides can contribute to your dog developing bladder cancer?
Garden chemicals do have long-term health effects on our furry friends. Most people believe that herbicides are somewhat safe, but, the research is limited, to say the least. Herbicides can cause your furry friend to throw up when ingested.
So, it is safe to say that you should keep your furry friend as far away from them as possible.
Ensure that you keep your dog inside the house along with his belongings (his favorite stick, chew toys, bowls, etc.) when you’re spraying your garden with herbicide. Try to ensure that your dog stays away from the area for at least a day or two until the area is dry.
Your garden is dog-safe once the chemical is taken down to the roots.
Did you know that most slug and snail bait contains Metaldehyde which is harmful to your Golden Retriever?
This can cause your dog to have seizures, tremors, and in the worst case, may even lead to death! We recommend that you avoid these altogether. Snail and slug baits that contain ferric phosphate are less toxic.
But why take a chance?
What are disulfoton pesticides, anyway?
Part of a class of pesticides called organophosphates, Disulfoton pesticides have been pulled off the market in most areas but, you can still find them in products that protect the rose flower like Ortho Rose Pride.
Disulfoton is highly toxic to dogs and can cause seizures, vomiting, diarrhea, and potentially death.
Throw anything and everything that contains Disulfoton pesticides in your house.
Dogs are curious by nature and put everything that they get their paws on in their mouths. Pesticides often come mixed with fertilizers like bone meal and blood, which makes is why dogs are naturally curious of it.
So, your dog will most definitely like to have a taste.
If you can’t do away with Disulfoton pesticides, you should try to use them in areas that your dog doesn’t have access to. Try to keep them away from your furry friend’s reach.
After all, your dog’s health is your number one priority.
Did we cover everything you needed to know about garden chemicals and pets?
A simple mistake can cause your dog to go through health issues, and even cost you hundreds of dollars in veterinary fees. As a responsible pet parent, it is crucial to know what’s safe and what isn’t for your doggy friend.
I hope that this blog post was able to help you out!
If you have any questions, let us know in the comments, and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can.